Unraveling the biotechnological potential of Azorean Cryptomeria japonica by-products
- NameFilipe Martim Pacheco Arruda
- Host entityInstituto de Investigação e Tecnologias Agrárias e do Ambiente
- University awarding the degreeUniversity of the Azores
The main objectives of this project are:
- to add more value to Azorean C. japonica essential oil by developing new methodologies in order to obtain fractions with differential chemical composition and consequently with different biological activities and
- to contribute for the conception of new botanical pesticides, with impact on the economy of the RAA, public heath and environment.
The procedure of sequential fractionation of the essential oil from Cryptomeria japonica allowed obtaining six different fractions with distinct chemical compositions. For each of the fractions, its specific yield, hydrodistillation rate, density, and color were determined. Regression models were constructed to predict the concentration of the main components of the essential oil, thus assisting producers in achieving an essential oil enriched in some of the most relevant components.
- ArticleEssential Oils from Different Parts of Azorean Cryptomeria japonica (Thunb. ex L.f.) D. Don (Cupressaceae): Comparison of the Yields, Chemical Compositions, and Biological Properties
- PosterEssential oil of Azorean Cryptomeria japonica seed cones:chemical composition, antibacterial activity and Artemia salina toxicity