- PROGRAMHorizonte 2020 | ERA-NET Cofund
- DURATION66 months (1/12/2018 – 31/05/2024)
- GRANT AGREEMENT817992
Blue Bioeconomy – Unlocking the Potential of Aquatic Bioresources
Aim of the project
The ERA-NET COFUND BlueBio is designed to support public-public partnerships between Member States and associated countries for the implementation and coordination of networking activities. BlueBio launches calls for proposals in accordance with the JPI Oceans Operational Plan and tackles common priorities as described by the ERA-NET. BlueBio aims to:
- Using biotechnology and ICT to develop smart, efficient, traceable food systems and create synergies between aquaculture and fisheries (genetic assessment and digitalisation);
- Unlock the potential of microbiomes to support growth in aquaculture, fisheries, and food processing and biotechnology
- Apply the latest developments in ICT (IoT, machine learning, big data) to the Blue Bioeconomy
- Developing innovative uses of underutilized and waste material from fisheries and aquaculture to achieve zero waste;
Impact in the Azores Region
Participation in this new R&D funding action is essential for international recognition of the region’s potential in the scientific areas of the blue bioeconomy. It will allow regional teams to participate in joint proposals under the BlueBio Cofund calls.
The FRCT participated in the 1st additional call (2020-2021), without European co-funding. It is currently funding an approved project with a regional team:
Microalgae In IT (Microalgae-based, safety-tested and optimised fish feed value chain by using Interdisciplinary R&D and IT solutions) – Aims to understand the role played by genetic and functional diversity in the marine forest ecosystems of the Atlantic Ocean, with a special focus on algae, corals and seagrasses. Regional researcher in charge – Vítor Gonçalves, member of the Biodiversity and Genetic Resources Research Centre – Azores Hub (CIBIO-Açores/UAC). Value: 100 000€. Start: 01/07/2021 | End: 30/06/2024.