Through the European Economic Area (EEA) Agreement, signed in the city of Oporto in May 1992, Iceland, Liechtenstein and Norway are partners, in the internal market, of the Member States of the European Union.
As a way of promoting a continuous and balanced strengthening of the economic and trade relations, the parties of the European Economic Area Agreement have established a Multiannual Financial Mechanism, known as the EEA Grants, through which Iceland, Liechtenstein and Norway provide financial support to Member States of the European Union with the greatest deviations from the European average GDP per capita, which includes Portugal.
The two major EEA Grants objectives are:
- To reduce the economic and social disparities in the European Economic Area
- To strengthen the bilateral relations between beneficiary and donor countries.
EEA Grants Portugal
The EEA Grants 2014-2021 has a global allocation of 102.7M€ to support five thematic programmes, managed by different programme operators from National institutions. The programmes are:
- Blue Growth – promotes marine and maritime sustainable growth.
- Environment – promotes circular economy, decarbonization of Society and valorisation of the territory.
- Conciliation and Gender Equality – promotes gender equality and work-life balance.
- Culture – focus on the role of arts and coastal cultural heritage.
- Active Citizens Fund – supports initiatives that aim to strengthen civil society and active citizenship and empower vulnerable groups.
In addition to these five programmes, it also exists the Fund for Bilateral Relations, that supports initiatives aimed at strengthening the relations between Portugal and Iceland, Liechtenstein and Norway.
- EAA Grants
- National Management Unit of the European Economic Area Financial Mechanism (UNG-EEAFM)
- EEA Grants PortugalNational Management Unit of the European Economic Area Financial Mechanism (UNG-EEAFM)
Rua Professor Gomes Teixeira, n.º2
1399-022 Lisboa – Portugal
E-mail: [email protected]
- Blue Growth ProgrammeDirectorate-General for Maritime Policy
- Environment ProgrammeSecretary General of the Environment and Climate Action
- Work-life balance and Gender Equality ProgrammeCommission for Citizenship and Gender Equality (CIG)
- Culture ProgrammeDirectorate General for Cultural Heritage