Cristina Riquelme Gabriel
Microbial bioprospection in Azorean Extreme Environments
Unidade de I&D:
CITA-A - Centro de Investigação e Tecnologias Agrárias dos Açores
- “Search for antibiotic compounds in extreme volcanic environments of the Azores, in response to the present needs because of increasing antibiotic resistance in food-borne human pathogens.
- Search for novel biocatalysts of industrial use in extreme volcanic environments of the Azores, in response to the present needs, a better digestion of anti-nutritional compounds and better absorption of minerals by the animals to reduce the amount of its toxic excretions in the environment
- Contribute for the sustainable exploitation of unique volcanic environments by bringing new knowledge on the microbial communities they harbor.
- Lead the initial steps for future developments in the area of biotechnology by Azorean industry by strengthening the liaison between industry and University
- Collaborate in the institutional objective of educating target groups (youngsters, teachers, decision makers, journalists and general public) on the need for conserving unique volcanic environments, based on the premise that they may be a source of useful compounds through the publication of our results.”